Sunday, November 3, 2013

Between Then and Now, Aptera

I must write a blog, I must write a blog, I must write a blog...This is what I have been thinking and have not been doing! We have had quite a few small adventures since Grier wrote about our cross island trip. I sat down about an hour ago and started looking at our pictures and got a bit overwhelmed. I decided to write 5 small blogs, one for each adventure, and they will be short otherwise I will never make it though.

This one is about Aptera. It was on a large flat hill overlooking Souda Bay. The first two pictures are of the hill where Aptera was located. They are taken from Marathi which was one of the ports for Aptera and also one of the guard posts for Souda Bay when Aptera was thriving. Aptera was a Roman City. It must have been magnificent. The other pictures are take at the ruins and our lunch in the present day town of Aptera. This place (Crete) reminds me over and over just how short lived our human civilizations are. Not necessarily a pleasant thought to be reminded of on a daily basis!























1 comment: