Thursday, July 4, 2013

Quick Greek

Living abroad can be risky and Crete is no exception. Fortunately there is "Quick Greek for Tourists" by Dr. Athan. J. Delicostopoulos (Formerly Professor at the University of Athens) readily available in many locations, the bus station in Hania, for example, to help out with your Greek when you need it quick.

It would be a bad day indeed in which you would need all these "emergency" phases, but it is always good to be prepared:

Help!
Help me!
I am wounded.
Bring help.
Bring a doctor.
Quick!
Stop!
Stop that man!
Thief! Thief!
Halt!
Fire! Fire!
The house is on fire!
Call the police.
Take me to the doctor.
Take me to a hospital.
Take me to a police station.
I am lost.
Go away!
Leave me alone!
I will scream!
I am ill.
Someone has fallen into the sea!
He can't swim!

It is especially gratifying to know you don't have to just stand there mute, like the other tourists, when someone falls into the sea, but can confidently call out "kapios epese sti thalasa!", and add "dhen kseri kolimpi!", as he goes down for the third time.

No comments:

Post a Comment